The Stars Were Brightly Shining at the 2019 Summit Awards
It was a stellar night with a packed house and a veritable who’s who of the independent electrical contractor industry in Denver and Northern Colorado. IECRM’s 13th Annual Summit Awards held on Thursday, April 11th at the Denver Athletic Club showcased excellence in electrical construction — people, projects, companies, and partners. More than 200 attended and the evening was elegant and full of excitement and celebration.
Event Premier Sponsor, CRS Insurance’s Grant Chaffin, opened the evening’s program as guests settled into their seats for dinner. “Our evening’s theme, ‘Celebrating Excellence: You Deserve to be Recognized’ demonstrates that the amazing talents and skills of IECRM members are unparalleled, and tonight we have the opportunity to celebrate the work of your employees and companies,” he said. “CRS Insurance is proud to sponsor and spotlight your incredible achievements.”
The 2019 IECRM Summit Awards Winners:
- Representative Kraft-Tharp
- Senator Owen Hill
IECRM Executive Director Strategic Initiatives Award
- Emily Griffith Technical College
Industry Partner of the Year
- David Jones, QED, a Sonepar Company
Instructor of the Year
- Cal Blair, KM Electric
Alumni of the Year
- Ross Finch, Encore Electric, Inc.
Single Family Residential Construction
- Courtesy Electric for Collier Hill
Multi-Family Residential Construction
- 1st Electric Contractors for Forum at Fitzsimons
Commercial Projects under $500K
- Weifield Group Electrical Contracting for Verizon NEC-2-A Data Center Project
Commercial Projects $500K-$1.5 Million
- RK Electrical for Coors Field Stadium Lights Retrofit
Commercial Project $1.5 Million to $5 Million
- Encore Electric, Inc. for Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Art
Commercial Projects over $5 Million
- Encore Electric, Inc. for Gaylord Resort of the Rockies
Industrial Projects under $500K
- Interstates Construction Services for Soldier Canyon Micro Hydro Project
Industrial Projects $500K-$1.5 Million
- Encore Electric, Inc. for Golden Water Treatment Facility Project
Industrial Projects $1.5 Million-$5 Million
- Ludvik Electric for the Betasso Water Treatment Facility
Energy Efficiency & Green Construction Award
- Weifield Group Electrical Contracting for Colorado School of Mines ISOC Project
SPECIAL PEAK AWARDS
Legacy of Service to IECRM
- Cal Blair, KM Electric, LLC
2019 Excellence in Electrical Service
- Tyler Ravenscroft, Montgomery Electric, Inc.
2019 Electrical Project Manager of the Year
- Mike Stoole, Bret’s Electric
2019 Community Service Award
- Encore Electric, Inc.
Electrical Industry Innovation Award
- Weifield Group Electrical Contracting for Confidential City & County of Denver Emergency Services Project
General Contractor Superintendent of the Year
- Adam Perry, Wanzek Construction
Safety Excellence Award
- Encore Electric, Inc.
Summit Award for Safety Excellence
- Encore Electric, Inc.
Highest Peak Award
- Encore Electric, Inc. for Gaylord of the Rockies Resort
David Scott, Vice President of Human Resources for Encore Electric, Inc. and President of the IECRM board of directors, along with IECRM CEO Marilyn Stansbury, emphasized that over the years the Summit Awards have recognized member projects that have added to the landscape and vitality of our communities, distinguished the lifetime achievements of members, applauded the incredible support from partners and highlighted the contributions of IECRM apprentice alumni and instructors to the industry. “These awards are important as they not only showcase the external contributions electrical contractors make in the community,” said David. “But they also provide an opportunity and an occasion for us to recognize the internal contributions of our employees.”
He also underscored that many Summit Award winners are recognized each year with IEC National awards at its annual convention and expo, this year being held in St. Louis in September. He further emphasized the challenges of workforce demands in Colorado’s fast-growing economy, IECRM’s increased effort to outreach in the community to build awareness and attract men, women, veterans and diverse populations to the electrical industry, the growth of IECRM’s training program in apprentice enrollment at a record 1800 as well as classroom expansion to include a Parker, CO location, and the pressing need for high quality instructors to support this growth. David also acknowledged his fellow board members, the Board of Trustees, operating committees, and IECRM staff members.
IEC National was represented that evening by Janet Martin, Bret’s Electric and a member of the IEC National Board of Directors as well as the IEC Executive Committee, and Jim Schoenfelder, 1st Electric Contractors, also a member of the National board of directors and Regional Director for the Mountain West Region. Special guests from IEC in Washington, D.C. included RaeShawn Crosson, Vice President of Operations, Melissa Grigsby, Director of Communications and Events, and Kimberlee Berry, Director of Membership Development for new and existing chapters. Also, in town were members of the IEC National Industry Recognition Committee, including several IEC Chapter Executive Directors and contractor members from around the country.
In addition, the top 4th year students who will be participating in the upcoming Wire-Off Competition were recognized:
2019 4th-Year Wire-Off Competitors
- Stefan Boyer, LONG Building Technologies, Inc.
- Jackie Brunton, Juniper Mountain Electric, Inc.
- Michael Curtis, Integrity Electrical Solutions, LLC
- Jarod Debrine, Choice Electric Corporation
- Mark Erbland, 1st Electric Contractors, Inc.
- Cole Erickson, Piper Electric Co., Inc.
- James McNown, Encore Electric, Inc.
- Benjamin Richards, Productive Electric, LLC
- Ryan Stiner, Encore Electric, Inc.
- Christopher Zimmer, Piper Electric Co., Inc.
It was a wonderful evening of celebration and recognition of excellence in the industry. Sponsors contributed significantly to make the Summit Awards a success.
Thank you to our Summit Awards Banquet Sponsors:
- Premiere Sponsor: CRS Insurance – Jeff Berven & Grant Chaffin
- Cocktail Hour Sponsor: Ludvik Electric – Rob Watkins & Team
- Bar Sponsor: Corey Engineering – Anne Stilson-Cope
- Table Wine Sponsor: Graybar – Rick Cole & Chip Pasley
- Wire-Off Finalists Table Sponsor: Milwaukee – Chris DeCleene & Brett Wilson
A special thanks to IECRM’s Platinum Partners:
- ABB Installation Products, Inc.
- Allcable, Inc.
- BOK Financial
- CED – Consolidated Electrical Distributors
- Federated Insurance
- Graybar Electric Company, Inc.
- IDEAL Industries, Inc.
- Milwaukee Electric Tool
- Northglenn Winlectric
- Rexel USA
- Smith Power Products