How to Get Started in the Electrical Industry
Individuals interested in beginning the 4-Year Apprentice Program at IECRM, and/or finding a job as an electrical apprentice, must follow the instructions below.
If you are already employed as an electrician’s apprentice, or you are a contractor interested in registering one of your apprentices for schooling your employer must register you online using FlashPoint. Apprentices, please approach your contractor with this information, since your contractor will be the one to register you for school. You DO NOT need to follow the instructions below!
If you are seeking employment as an apprentice and/or interested in schooling at IECRM:
- Visit the Four-Year Electrician’s Apprentice Program FAQ’s page. This FAQ page should answer MANY of your questions about our program, what is involved, when classes start, tuition and book costs, and more.
- Call IECRM at (303) 848-4081 to make an appointment for an interview. Please complete the required math test prior to your interview. With COVID-19 Protocols, all appointments and interviews are being held by phone.
- Be prepared to provide the following items at your appointment:
- Colorado Driver’s License
- Social Security Card (OR a Birth Certificate OR Passport)
- Any post-high school transcripts you may have — transcripts can be from electrical trade schools or College.
- After following steps 1 and 2 above, you will be placed on our Hire List.
- The Hire List is used regularly by IECRM Electrical Contractors Members to hire new apprentices and licensed electricians.
- IECRM does not guarantee employment from the Hire List.
- Begin seeking employment with an electrical contractor. Start with our Job Postings page, but use all available resources (networking, online search, calling companies, etc.)
- Get started with school — See Important Dates for Students.
- Many of our students have secured apprenticeships when they begin school. HOWEVER, you can still start school at IECRM even if you are not yet employed as an apprentice. When registration opens, please call Annette at (303) 853-4886 to register yourself as a “Self-Pay Student”.
Prospective students who desire to test out of first or second-year classes must schedule an appointment with the Training Office prior to July 1st. A $75 fee will apply to anyone without trade-related transcripts. Passing score is 80%. There is not a placement test to move from the third year into the fourth-year or to move out of the fourth-year. Returning IECRM students that have been out a year or more will also have to take the Placement Test.
If you have any further questions or would like more details on any of the above, please contact IECRM at (303) 853-4886.