PDU: Theory and Calculations Class in Denver, Colorado
Date(s) – Saturday, August 12, 2017
8:00 am – 4:30 pm
IECRM Main Campus
Registration for this class will open on: Saturday, July 15, 2017.
Complete your Theory and Calculations PDU requirement with this 1-day, 8-credit class at the IECRM Denver Campus.
This class provides an overview of Code Calculations and Ohm’s Law based on the NEC. You’ll review how to convert numbers from one form to another and back again, because numbers are part of electrical work and electrical calculations.
PLEASE NOTE: STUDENTS WILL NEED TO BRING A CALCULATOR FOR THIS PDU COURSE.
IECRM’s PDU courses meet the criteria of the Colorado State Electrical Board Rule 9.7, are approved for Wyoming continuing education, and are approved for New Mexico continuing education. In addition, this course meets the criteria for continuing education re-certification requirements of NABCEP Solar PV Certified Installers.
Below is the curriculum that this class will cover, though please note that the instructor will touch upon different topics at different lengths, based on the learning needs of each class. This class covers electrician’s math and basic electrical formulas. Including:
- Electrician’s Math
- Whole numbers
- Percent increase
- Squaring a number
- Square root
- Rounding off
- Testing your answer for reasonableness
- Electrical Formulas & Calculations
- Ohm’s Law
- Electrical circuit, power source (DC, AC)
- Formula wheel
- Power changes
- Series circuit calculations (Relationships between current, voltage, resistance, power)
- Kirchoff’s Voltage Law, Kirchoff’s Current Law
- Parallel circuit calculations
- Circuit resistance
- Multiwire branch circuits, neutral conductor, grounded conductor, current flow on the grounded conductor, balanced systems, unbalanced current, dangers of, NEC requirements
- Raceway fill
- Tips for raceway calculations
- Outlet box fill calculations
- Sizing box
- Conductor equivalents
- Outlet box sizing
- Pull boxes, junction boxes, and conduit bodies, pull/junction box sizing requirements, calculations, tips
- General conductor requirements, conductor insulation, smallest size, terminal temperature rating, conductors in parallel (Article 310.10), NEC requirements for conductors in parallel
NOTE: All purchased book(s) will be distributed on the first day of class.
- OPTIONAL: 2017 NEC Code Book
- OPTIONAL: TABS for Code Book
2017 NEC Code and other optional items are now available! Get yours at iecrm.org/books.
What past students said about this class:
“Great class. Steve is a great instructor.”
“The class was well taught and the teacher was very informative.”
Please Note: This PDU Class is designed for the code cycle 2014-2017 and is for those with licenses that are up for renewal by September 2017. This PDU class does not apply to the new Colorado state requirements for the 2017-2020 code cycle. The new 2017-2020 code cycle classes will be called Continuing Education Units (CEUs). IECRM will be offering CEU classes beginning in October 2017 to meet the new Colorado state requirements for license renewal for the 2017-2020 code cycle. See below for more information from DORA’s website.
New Continuing Education Requirements for Colorado Electricians
Governor Hickenlooper signed House Bill 16-1073 into law on April 15, 2016. This law replaces the current continued competency program with a requirement of 24 hours of continuing education to be completed each renewal period. The Continuing Competency (CC) Assessment will no longer be administered.
Before renewing your license in September 2017, you must first complete any Professional Development Units (PDU) assigned to you after you completed the CC Assessment in 2014. You will not complete a new CC Assessment.
Before renewing your license in September 2020, all licensed electricians will have to complete 24 hours of continuing education, called Continuing Education Units (CEU). The Electrical Board will soon be drafting rules on these new continuing education requirements. Stay tuned for details by monitoring the Electrical Board webpage for updates.